The Benefits of Spelt
Why use Westfield Farms Spelt Flour?
Our Spelt is grown on our family farm in Inverurie , Aberdeenshire. We are the only farm in Scotland growing Spelt and milling it in to flour.Our Spelt is then expertly milled at Golspie Mill by Michael Shaw ,owner of the only working water powered mill in Scotland.
• Spelt is high in fibre
• Spelt is high in protein with Spelt bread containing nearly 50% more protein than wheat based bread.
• Spelt flour is lower in gluten than wheat flour making it easier to digest and so may be suitable for those with an intolerance.
• Spelt has a lower GI (glycemic index) than many grains keeping you feeling fuller for longer.
• Spelt is high in B vitamins which help to release energy from food.
• Spelt is a good source of Vitamin E which can help the body mop up damaging free radicals.
• Spelt also contains potassium, iron, magnesium , selenium and is rich in manganese all of these are important in order for our bodies to fully function.
Recipes and tips for baking with Spelt
Spelt is great to bake with and can be used to make breads, cakes, pastry and biscuits . In many cases it can be used simply to replace wheat flour in a recipe .
Remember Spelt bread has less calories and more protein than wheat bread.
Spelt flour makes delicious light homemade bread. Spelt rises well so needs less proving .
Adding some of our Ola Cold Pressed Rapeseed oil helps the texture of the bread and extends the keeping time.(www.olaoils.co.uk)
Try our easy Spelt bread recipe, so simple you only need to prove it once then put it in the oven!
For a selection of baking ideas please visit our Recipes Page.
Our Spelt is grown on our family farm here in Aberdeenshire and then it is Stoneground at Golspie Mill, the only remaining traditional water powered mill in mainland Scotland
Our Spelt Flour
Spelt flour has a higher protein content and a more delicate gluten structure than conventional wheat. This means that you shouldn’t have to knead Spelt dough for as long
You can now purchase our Spelt flour direct via our online ordering page. We supply in 4 x 1KG shipments, deliveries to the U.K. Mainland are charged at £4.80
T : 01467 622359
WESTFIELD FARMS INVERURIE ABERDEENSHIRE AB51 5JJ TELEPHONE 01467 622 359 EMAIL INFO@WESTFIELDSPELT.CO.UK